12.12.2007

Suspenseful nothings (3)

Here is the third part of Suspenseful Nothings! [see also here(1) and here(2)] :-)
The boy thought for a moment. Then he shrugged his shoulders and said, "I don't know..." and walked away, leaving a very puzzled Sarah to try and fend for herself.
Needless to say, Sarah felt rather sad at the prospect of help walking away on her. She sat down on a rock, and tried to think through all that had happen since the wood had appeared. Where would Lucy have gone? She would pretend that she was Lucy, and that would hopefully lead her to similar paths that Lucy would have gone on. She arose, and walked stealthily across the floor of the wood, that was almost completely covered with wet leaves. She had not gone far, however, when a voice behind her called her name, and she turned around quickly. There has the Green Giant's son!
"Did you call me?" Sarah asked.
"I did," said the boy. He didn't seem too happy about it either.
"Well, what do you want?" Sarah asked.
"Ugh!" the boy said. "The authoress told me to come and help you."
"Authoress? What are you talking about?" Sarah asked.
"Well, you know; every story has an author, or authoress who writes down all that comes to mind, and make up stories. Some of them really weird, like this one. I mean, I didn't even want to be in this story! That's why I walked away, but the authoress said I was supposed to help you, and I wasn't supposed to back out of a story when I was put there. So anyways, what do you want me to do?" He was starting to look rather annoyed, and no wonder!
"I want you to help me find my sister," Sarah said, and told her story yet again, ending with a deep sigh. "Have you got it all now?"
"I think so," he replied. "So, your three daughters sat in the living room, when a wood walked in, and now your lost."
"No, no, NO!" Sarah said crossly. Again the story was repeated, and then the boy understood. He at once led her down a path and turned into a little hut by the side of the path.
"Wait here, a moment," he told her. He soon came out of the hut with a pile of cans. "Vegetables," he explained, and they started on their way yet again. They walked and walked, till Sarah's legs moved almost mechanically, and even the boy seemed to tire ever so slightly. They came to a sudden stream, which, when crossed, led to a wide open glade simply full of vegetables.
"What are we doing here?" Sarah yelled.
"Hush! You'll see!" the boy said. "You'll frighten them if you talk so loud."
"I don't see any one," Sarah said stubbornly.
"Because there isn't anyone yet. At least, you don't see them," he replied. Sarah was just about to add her own two cents, when the boy began to chant.
"Spinach, peaches, corn!
Now I blow the horn!
People are in need,
Help them, carrots, peas!

A little girl is lost,
Arise, oh, ye, moss!
Awaken oh, ye cabbage!
Pick up all your baggage!"
It sounded like rubbish to Sarah, but to the vegetable garden, it had a great effect. The plants slowly outstretched leafy green vines that formed limbs of a sort. They arose and started following the boy as he turned back towards the woods.
"Wait!" Sarah called. "What will a bunch of plants do for us?"
"You'd be surprised," the boy replied.
"I am surprised. If they can grow arms and legs, what else can they do?" Sarah exclaimed. "But what if I get lost in this forest of vegetables?"
"Then just call me, and I'll halt my army."
"But what am I to call you? What is your name?"
"Firgrass," the boy replied. "Now then, forward march!" (this to the vegetables.)

To be continued later.......



2 comments:

Kirk said...

Ha ha! this is very funny Ell!
I think that poem is just splendid!
:D

Noelle said...

Thank you! :)