6.05.2009

"Worthy" Writing...

I am surrounded by windows on my desktop. Word processors to be exact. I have picked up writing again as school begins to wind down, and have become fascinated with a new method of writing called the "Snowflake Method," introduced to me by my sister who is equally enthusiastic about it.

Of course, I had to start applying it right away to all of my previous writings, and it is going very well, despite the fact that I have not gotten past step 2 yet.

I found step one most amusing and challenging: "...write a one-sentence summary of your novel." For some people, this might be easy, but for me, trying to condense a novel into a sentence seems a bit difficult. After all, if you can explain a novel in a sentence, what is the good of writing the novel?

Anyway, my sentences kept turning into ads:
"A group of evil aliens are invading planet Earth. Can Richard Jones stop them and save planet Earth before its too late, or will he fall victim to molten lava? Find out for yourself by reading this great new book about an all new adventure: Molten Rock, coming to a book store near you!"

I just made that up for an example, but... you see the picture. And now I am taking a break from aliens and epidemics and huge volcanoes to write this blog post and get some better ideas. I will be taking up journalism, meaning that I will give posts periodically showing how each step was worked out using an example plot. That will be fun. I hope you think so too.

1 comment:

Kirk said...

So...you need to work on the second step seemingly, given that I have only just come back to the blogosphere after my impromptu summer break and there is no step 2 despite this post being written in June.
Unless you also took an impromptu break. And in that case we should have a writing session together and eat m&m's and drink tea or something while sitting around with giant notebooks and/or our laptops.b