9.16.2009

Walking on a treadmill

There is nothing more discouraging than a day that doesn't seem to get anywhere. I call these the "treadmill-days." I sit down to do school, and I can't seem to make a dent in my pile of homework; I wash the dishes and ten minutes later there's fifteen cups ready for washing; etc.

Today was one of those days. It made me contemplate a real treadmill, one on which one runs and runs to get seemingly no where. And then it hit me; it was only seemingly no where. The person on the treadmill may not be moved through space, but he is moved through time. And if he is diligent to continue on the treadmill day after day, his muscles will slowly become firm and strong.

Those treadmill-days may be wearying, but they are the tools that slowly shape us into the person God wants us to be. If the man on the treadmill said, "Forget this! I'm going to go watch TV!" he might be content for a month or so, but a year later, he might look at himself, and say, "I'm fat! If I only had stuck to that stupid treadmill, I could be lifting boulders by now!"

Am I giving up? Am I busy watching TV instead of persevering in the seeming monotone of life? Could I be lifting boulders right now? The thoughts assailed my mind like bullets from a gun. Then a scripture softly pushed them aside to make itself prevalent.
"And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up...." (Galatians 6:9)

2 comments:

Faith said...

Wow...this was really good Elle! so glad I stopped in here today via your mom's blog....I haven't visited you two much this summer....we LOVE that verse from Galatians here in the Turner home :)
God bless you as you persevere thru your homeschooling.

Homemanager said...

Excellent thoughts, Elle! I am reminded of the scripture that talks about those who are faithful in the little things WILL be faithful in the big...it is because we are faithful in those little mundane things that we can be trusted with much more.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts...excellent encouragement!