4.09.2010

Q and A: Interview with Rodney Richards

Rodney Richards is at it again with the upcoming release of his new book, Hidden In Snow! This delightful sequel to Hidden On the Prairie series outlining the lives of animals who dwell in cold, snowy regions is full of colorful, vivid descriptions and strong, convincing examples. Today, Rodney has graciously agreed to take part in an interview about his new book.

Tell us, Rodney, what was the inspiration for Hidden In Snow?

Richards: I was on a vacation in Hawaii when I suddenly realised that all of my previous books had focussed on animals in warmer climates. So I was talking with a friend of mine and he said, "Rodney, why don't you write about Antarctica?"

Interesting. I seem to remember from past interviews that you like being on the exact location you are writing about. Did you settle down in Antarctica for a few months while you wrote your book?

Richards: No, I hate cold weather. I visited the San Francisco Zoo instead, because I figured that most of the animals would be the same anyways. It was a lot cheaper, too.

Can you tell us a little bit about the book?

Richards: You see, I've always admired alligators - their impressive wingspan, and sharp beaks - so I thought it was only fitting to make them sort of like the main characters in my book. I designed Hidden In Snow with more of a plot than my previous books, so that children would be more drawn into it and possibly pick up a few more scientific facts than they would have otherwise.

You mentioned a story plot.

Richards: The basic plot involves an alligator who is sad because he hasn't grown his wings yet. He goes around and meets other animals who are sad too, including a frog that hasn't grown his tongue yet, a rabbit that hasn't grown its scales yet, and an anaconda that is sad because he's the only one in his family who hasn't grown a fur coat yet. By the end of the story, children will have met every kind of species existing in Antarctica, as well as the species' habitat, eating habits, lifestyle, etc.

It sounds like a classic plot many writers have used to teach children about animals. Did you feel bad about using a stereotype?

Richards: [laughs] I'm not a typist or anything, so I wasn't worried about what font my book would use.

Uh, right. Do you do have any plans for writing books to follow this one?

Richards: Well, you see, I've been thinking about the other books I've written and how they all have to do with animals in natural settings, but there are so many other animals out there that live in unnatural settings, and I figured they needed some recognition, too. This book was a step towards that direction, because snow can be created artificially, but plants - real, living plants - can't be. So when I chose a setting like a prairie or a forest, I surrounding my characters with natural things. When I'm writing about a snowy region, it could mean anything from Antarctica to the pile of artificial snow outside of an ice-hockey rink.

So you want your next book to take place outside of a hockey rink?

Richards: I've been thinking about doing something like that. After all, I'm sure hardly anyone pays any attention to what lives in the snow outside their hockey rinks; I'm sure that a book on the topic would instantly become a best-seller, because it would be the only book on the topic.

What does live in discarded hockey-rink snow?

Richards: Well, in order to determine that, we would have to go talk about the sport a little bit, and I'll tell you why in a moment. In a hockey rink, one team throws a ball into a big basket hanging from the wall, and the other team whacks it with a bat. For some reason, people get very excited when this happens and drop the popcorn they're eating all over the rink. When the rink is cleaned later on, the discarded popcorn and a pile of injured bats are pushed outside with the snow. Therefore -

Excuse me a moment; where are the injured bats from?

Richards: From the game. After all, do you expect a bat to survive a whack against a huge ball? Most of the bats end up with broken wings, at the very least.

I see. Go on.

Richards: Therefore, bats and anything that eats popcorn - from whales to mosquitoes - can be found burrowing in the snow outside of a hockey rink. As you might imagine, this wide range of animals offers a good platform for a book.

I understand. We're running low on time here, so perhaps you should state your mission to my readers and say goodbye.

Richards: Somehow I think I'm being pushed out of here.... My mission is to educate the young and the old on matters concerning zoology and other sciences that are necessarily involved with my stories. My mission is to show the world that research is only an option, that so much can be achieved in a matter of months.

Rodney Richards is a brilliant author of books about science for elementary school-aged children. Among his many works is his most famous book, Hidden on a Prairie, a book about prairie life. The thirty-two year old claims to have written it in only two months, with absolutely no research. The quality of the writing is unbelievably excellent, and has won him a place in every child's heart, besides nationally acclaimed fame from teachers all across the country.

Disclaimer: Please note that all content above is fictional; any resemblance to reality is accidental. Thank you!

No comments: