9.11.2011

Remember 9/11

I heard the rushing, roaring sound
Of planes far too close to the ground
I heard awful, terror-struck cries
As people looked up at the skies.
I saw the planes so swiftly glide -
With the stately towers collide.
I saw the towers melt away,
Beneath the very light of day.
I saw the fierce flames leap up high
And heard thousands of voices cry
- then cease.


I see the tears on every face
Of one who lost a friend's embrace
I see a vengeful anger rise
In more than just one pair of eyes.
I see the orphans' sober gaze
Through the black smoke and filthy haze.
I see the husbands mourning wives
And families mourning loss of lives,
And all through out the city now,
I see sorrow on every brow
- sorrow.


I see the grey ashes and dust
And bent metal taken by rust.
I see the graveyard bare and sad
That once in life and joy was clad.
I see my close friends coughing hard,
Their lungs and limbs and bodies marred
By toxins in that deathly air.
Compassion was what brought them there,
To quench the hellish, fearful flame
And to rescue the hurt and lame
- rescue.


And all throughout the coming ages,
One thing rings out on history's pages:
Remember 9/11.



"Then shall your light break forth like the dawn, and your healing shall spring up speedily; your righteousness shall go before you; the glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard." (Isaiah 58:8)

3 comments:

Lynnette said...

I saw your link on 22words. Very nice poem!

Erin Pille said...

I to saw the link on 22 words. This is spectacular. I was wondering if I could use this for a song? email me if you're interested. ;)

seriously. this is truly spectacular.

Noelle said...

Thank you very much! :)

Erin ~ thank you for asking. Feel free to use it for a song - I only ask that you credit me with the words :)