12.29.2008

Clothes and their associations....

It wasn't until just recently that I noticed something concerning my clothes that interested me immensely. Each article of clothing reminds me of a certain thing. Like, for instance, a purple shirt that reminds me of Star Wars, a green sweater that reminds me of the 1980's, and a black skirt that somehow brings to mind a friend of mine. Then there's the blue pants that are associated with exercising, and the white jeans that bear semblance to flour sacks.

And in discussing clothes, I suddenly realize that everything I encounter throughout the day calls to mind another thing.

There are colours for days of the week:
Friday = green
Saturday = orange
Sunday = red
Monday = red
Tuesday = blue
Wednesday = yellow
Thursday = a darker shade of blue

There are genders for numerals:
Odd numbers = male
Even numbers = female

There are thousands of songs that bring to mind hundreds of objects, some reasonable and others - such as glass-bottled ships for that song that includes the line "Shine, Jesus, shine" - that seem to have no relation whatsoever.

I wonder why our brains do that to us...

2 comments:

Kirk said...

No no, "Shine, Jesus, Shine" brings soggy sardine sandwichs to mind.

Homemanager said...

"glass-bottled ships" and "soggy sardine sandwiches" Ha! My goodness!
No, it is red flags...this is one of the songs that we danced to with red flags. :-)
Kirk, was the "soggy sardine sandwiches" from Oscar the grouch? :-)